Thursday, February 8, 2018

Patrick Henry, Painter, Tells His Story





When I became an adult, my mother told me that one of her girlfriends was concerned about me when I was a child. Seemed she observed that while my siblings were bustling about doing what children do, I was out in a corner of the yard staring at weeds. The pattern for a life of drawing inspiration from nature was set early on.

Golden MushroomsOil on Canvas, 28x22, 2018

In those critical tender years of developing an “eye”, I drew upon, what I discovered later, the words of Lord Byron’s poem, There is Pleasure in the Pathless Woods;

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods:
There is a rapture on the lonely shore:
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar,
I love not man the less, but Nature more.


Waiting for Fries, Oil on Canvas, 18x24, 2017

Fason Purnell, a grade school friend of mine recently wrote:

“...I remember there were three of us who were pretty good little artists as kids. We were quite competitive. We would always keep an ear for the comments made by passersby about each other’s work. 'Oh, how nice' or 'I wish I could draw like that' or 'who did that' admiringly. But for Patrick, it was never 'Who did that' because one look and everyone knew, Patrick Henry did that."
 
 Transitions, Oil on Canvas, 24x20, 2018

Thing is, I had no clue that it was this “way of seeing” that was carrying me into a life of passion and “obsession” with the creative process. It came with a cost as I had to work hard to assimilate into “societal norms”. My private world carried more inward gratification then the things society equates as rewarding.
 
Sliced Tomatoes, Oil on Canvas, 18x24, 2018

This passion earned me titles such as “Most Talented Senior “in high school and in college, but I never felt qualified. Now, in my adulthood, as I’m receiving accolades for my efforts in “Best of this” or “Best of that”, I know it’s the inspiration and proper motivation set in my youth as I held close within my being the spiritual essence of the Creative “calling”.

At the Beach, Oil on Canvas, 24x18, 2017

I recall years ago, very early in my career, being asked to include an artist statement with my painting inventory. 'Why?', I asked myself. 'Aren’t the paintings enough?' Grudging I sat down and drafted a statement that has become a lasting mission statement, not only for myself, but hopefully from which others can draw inspiration:

“When painting, I always reveal some tidbit about my
 life. My paintings are about the people I’ve met, places
 I’ve been, things I reflect upon, or fleeting moments that
 have left an impression on my personal world. No greater
 sense of fulfillment is possible than to have you to pause
 and assimilate for a moment that which more often we
 allow to pass on into time.”


Mushrooms, Leaves and Sticks, Oil on Canvas, 18x24, 2018

My desire now is for anyone that views my work to rethink their relationship with the world around them and possibly discover new ideas and values.

Super A, Oil on Canvas, 18x22, 2018

This is Week 5 of Artists Tell Their Stories. Thank you for reading and sharing Patrick’s story today. To connect with Patrick and see more of his work, please visit the following links:














No comments:

Post a Comment