Thursday, March 29, 2018

Angela White, Painter, Tells Her Story





I’ve known my whole life that I am an artist. Maybe living in both France and Italy when I was a child influenced my love of art. I do remember a teacher asking me when I was about 9 or 10 years old, what I wanted to be when I grew up and I answered her questions with the response “an artist”.






While I admire artists like Louise Bourgeoise, Eva Hesse, Agnes Martin and Anselm Kiefer, my inspiration is always from my own life experiences.  

I have been in my studio at Artists & Makers Studios in Rockville, Maryland, for five years. I chose to join the studio when they first opened to experience being part of a large artist community and be near my home. Previously, I maintained a studio in Dupont Circle in Washington, DC, for 13 years.


Morning Light, Oil on Canvas, 16”x20”

As a painter, physical, spiritual and emotional memories inspire the visual depth and density of my work. Through the use of art materials, these journeys, turning points, and the inevitable return to new beginnings are recorded. Abstracts and seascapes compose the majority of my compositions.


Coming to Light, Encaustic on Wood, 10”x10”

By superimposing layers of media, the varied themes and processes of my work are exposed. Materials for each image are selected based on what best fit that particular series. Natural and sensual materials such as oils and encaustic paint allow the blending of edges to create visual depth. Mixed media allows for another kind of mysterious and contemplative work. Different kinds of mark making are incorporated including specific symbols such as an alphabet that I created. Overlays of acrylic and gold leaf often enhance these works as well. 

I usually have an idea of what I want to accomplish in terms of imagery so when I arrive at my studio, I can begin working. As I begin laying out the materials and colors, I am centering myself and becoming focused to work. 


Intention, Acrylic on Gold Leaf, 18”x24” 

My seascapes are not literal interpretations; rather, they articulate the quiet mystery and power of the natural world. By showing constant movement, natural rhythm, and a sense of place, these works communicate awareness. Such awareness of the intricacies of nature emphasize that we are all a part of everything. There is no real separation between the air, earth, water and humanity.  When viewing paintings of these seemingly lonely places that are actually brimming with life, the objective is to transport the viewer to a feeling of connectedness.

The Washington area has been my home for most of my adult life.  I have many friends in the creative community, great studio relationships, and a wonderful gallery relationship with Wohlfarth Gallery in North East, Washington, DC.





Each series of my artwork has it’s own most significant paintings. My new solo show at Wohlfarth Gallery, opening April 14th, of ‘Marshes, Seas and Mountains’, has been inspired by my visits to the East Coast to visit my mother and the West Coast to visit my son. This exhibit is composed of several very personally meaningful works that were created in response to my experience of these journeys. Calm Before the Storm, Assateague Island Marsh and In Between Space are some of the most significant works in this series for this show. 

 
In Between Space, Encaustic on Wood, 6”x6”

Le Point Sensible stands out as the most significant of my body print series, Transition stands out as the most significant of my abstract encaustic series and Sigil Magic is, so far, the most significant of my ongoing gold leaf abstract series. 

 
Le Point Sensible, Body Print

 
Sigil Magic, Acrylic on Gold Leaf, 18”x36"

Washington, DC is a diverse and interesting area for an artist to live. There are many opportunities and if one choses their priorities carefully, they can cultivate a balanced, creative, and meaningful life.

This is Week 12 of Artists Tell Their Stories. Thank you for reading and sharing Angela’s story today. To see more of Angela’s work and connect with her, please visit the following links:





No comments:

Post a Comment