Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Dottie Lou Crisp, Crocheter and Mixed Media Artist, Tells Her Story







I never thought of myself as an artist. In the past I have been an actor, a singer, an attorney, a consumer advocate, and now, in retirement, the metamorphosis has begun . . . finally.








Crocheting has been a part of my life since I was 5 years old when my MomMom taught me how to crochet; however, it wasn't until I retired from the practice of law that I really began to enjoy the art of it all.  






It is so much fun to just create little creatures from a hook and yarn. Watching them develop their own personalities is a most pleasant pastime. I have found that it is very rewarding to take the drawings made by young children, and turn them into 3-dimensional creatures. The children really love it too.







A couple of years ago, after reconnecting with friends from high school, I started exploring the wonderful art of mixed media!! Talk about an eye opening experience! This is certainly where I have really found a niche. 








First, I started working with some acrylic paints and some darling rubber stamps from RubberMoon!  (I love their stamps so much). Then I took a couple of on-line classes from KaePea  (aka Kristen Powers of RubberMoon & The Moon and the Maker) and now, I want to try everything ... well, maybe not oils so much. 








I just finished taking some more classes from KaePea while she was a visiting artist at The Queen's Ink in Savage, Maryland. It was such a learning experience, not only to take her classes, but also to meet lots of wonderful artists from the east coast and hear their respective stories.








I, for one, heartily recommend retirement. It has certainly allowed me to spread my wings and learn to fly! 


Love to all!  xoxo 
dottie lou crisp
aka Dottie Lou LaDiDas

This is Week 35 of 52 Artists in 52 Weeks. Thank you for reading and sharing Dottie Lou's story today!



No comments:

Post a Comment