Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Tim Jaeger, Painter, Tells His Story




I'd like to thank Brenda for all of her energies in putting together 52 Artists in 52 Weeks. As someone who works with multiple artists on a daily basis, I know first-hand that dealing with artists is a little bit like herding cats. This being said, it is with people like Brenda that all artists benefit from this kind of exposure, which in turn provides artists all over the country and beyond to make their voices and work heard and seen. 



CS no. 20, 36 x 48, acrylic and oil on canvas, 2015


Thus far, 2015 was in my top five most productive and successful years. I didn't look or think so much about reinventing my work or myself -- instead I continued to work and elaborate on the subjects I began painting nearly 10 years ago. I've never felt that I need jump from subject to subject, rather I enjoy exploring the different ways I can elaborate on my process -- evolving a little more each time. 




Tim's Studio


I consider each of my works to provide one-liners, rather than stories -- when put together the one-liners become paragraphs and the paragraphs begin to tell my story. However, my ultimate goal is not to tell my story, part of my goal is for each painting to be able to hang by itself -- to be visually consumed by the enthusiast and to hopefully give the enthusiast an understanding and/or greater appreciation. Unlike many in this current industry, I believe in the equality of fine art and ornamentation. 





Oink III, 36 x 48, acrylic and oil on canvas and fabric, 2015


I began using fabric patterns in my paintings this year, reincorporating some of the notations of Fauvism. For me, this is an ongoing quest for purity and authenticity within my work. Pattern and color combined with shape and form, I believe, informs my work with a sort of honesty while allowing unsensored expression. 





CS 17, 36x48, acrylic and oil on canvas and fabric


Another change I made in 2015 was where I display my work. For many years I was under the belief that the only acceptable venue where my work should be displayed was within a gallery or museum -- the 4 white walls. While I was able to accomplish this, I felt as though I missed some of my audience, and I was right. So, I began to focus more on quality restaurants.




Derek's Restaurant



Restaurants are spaces of consumption, leisure and entertainment charged with pleasure and meaning. These establishments cater to the masses, to all classes and genders while providing an environment to intermingle. For the artist, this has the ability to play a crucial role in the visual consumption and social interaction by the viewer of their creation. Since the beginning of Modern Art, the establishment of the cafĂ© as a cultural and social institution has served as a replacement for the Academy while providing a resource (and influential factor) for the birth and formation of discussions and movements amongst patrons, artists, and writers. Think about it for a minute and ask yourself, "Where is the first place you go after an exhibition opening"?  Art that absolutely HAS to be in a gallery, isn't art. 




Hereford in Dogwoods, 36 x 48, acrylic and oil on canvas and fabric


So there you have it, a little bit about myself. I could write more, but I'm definitely not a writer. However, If you like what you've read and seen and wish to see more or get in touch with me, you can do so my logging onto my site at www.regeaj.com or finding me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/regeajstudio.




Red Jungle, 84 x 36, acrylic and oil on canvas, 2015

Many Thanks, Tim 



This is Week 52 of 52 Artists in 52 Weeks. Thank you for reading and sharing Tim's story today! 

Happy New Year to all and look for our next group of 52 artists coming on January 6th.

No comments:

Post a Comment